Position: Business Advisor
Location: Sacramento, CA
Position Type: Full-Time
Since 1982, California Capital Financial Development Corporation (California Capital), a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation, has supported our community through capacity-building and access to capital programs for small businesses and entrepreneurs. With a focus on low-wealth and underserved communities, California Capital provides technical assistance for new and existing businesses through a continuum of services including training, one-on-one counseling, and lending programs. In January 2022, we will begin hosting a Small Business Development Center (SBDC) serving the Sacramento Valley as part of the Northern California SBDC Network. SBDCs provide a vast array of technical assistance to small businesses and aspiring entrepreneurs. By supporting business growth, sustainability and enhancing the creation of new businesses entities, SBDCs foster local and regional economic development through job creation and retention.
SBDC Advisors provide timely, professional, one-on-one technical assistance to small business owners and entrepreneurs on topics including business management, operations, sales, and financing. Business Advisors also provide workshops and classes to teach a broad audience on business fundamentals or other specialized topics.
We are seeking a full time Business Advisor who will take a leading role in small business advising and training for the Sacramento Valley SBDC. The small businesses we serve are seeking direct technical assistance in specific areas including business plans, business information technology, financial projections, e-commerce, and navigation of legal and tax documentation.
NOTE: Counseling and training are normally provided both in-person and by phone or videoconference, but due to the impacts of COVID-19, we have suspended in-person counseling and training. Contracted Business Advisors must be able to conduct business and provide technical assistance and training remotely, perform counseling through video conferencing, and must be able to manage work individually to meet performance goals.
- Provide advising, training and technical assistance to small business owners with business planning, financial projections, record keeping and accounting, management, business development, access to markets, and other topics of importance to small business owners.
- Deliver training to groups of small businesses; participate in webinars and events as a speaker or panelist on behalf of the Sacramento Valley SBDC.
- Document counseling sessions with reports submitted in a timely manner. Maintain records of activity performance in support of the goals of the SBDC and submit timely and accurate invoices.
- Exercise good judgment in safeguarding confidential or sensitive information and adhere to high standards of confidentiality and honesty in all client interactions.
- Participate in the goal attainment of the SBDC by meeting performance goals, attending required trainings or meetings, and maintaining professional standards of conduct.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of subject matter and the ability to develop training and communicate effectively to an audience.
- Demonstrated counseling skills such as listening, identifying problems, analyzing alternatives, and developing viable recommendations for business owners seeking assistance.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current business trends and
- Plan, organize, prioritize and perform multiple tasks to perform job functions in an orderly, efficient manner.
- Bilingual candidates are encouraged to apply.
Minimum Qualifications and Requirements:
- BA/BS in Business Administration, a related discipline, and/or experience owning and operating a small business is required.
- Proficiency in the use of business software applications e.g. MS Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Must be willing to speak to sponsors, partners and community groups to build awareness and support of the SBDC and California Capital’s mission
- Must be willing to attend events and meetings as needed
- Must be proficient and comfortable speaking to large and small groups of people
- Read, comprehend and interpret written materials of moderate to complex difficulty
About California Capital:
Since 1982, California Capital Financial Development Corporation (California Capital), a nonprofit 501(c)(3) corporation, has supported our community through capacity building and access to capital programs for small businesses, new businesses, and entrepreneurs. Certified by the U.S. Department of Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), since 2002, we are a mission-based organization, focusing on programs and services with a goal of creating asset and wealth development in low/moderate income, diverse and underserved communities. California Capital provides technical assistance through a continuum of services including business training, one-on-one counseling, and a number of access to capital programs. California Capital also holds the designation as an SBA Women’s Business Center, a Procurement Technical Assistance Center, and a Sacramento Employment and Training Agency Business Information Center. More information is available at: www.cacapital.org
California Capital is an equal opportunity employer that seeks diversity with respect to race, ethnicity, culture, gender age, sexual orientation and physical abilities.
How to Respond to this Announcement:
Interested respondents should email a resume, cover letter, description of specialty expertise (if not clear from resume) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “SBDC Advisor” in the subject line.